Confident City Cycling Class
presented by the Atlanta Bicycle Campaign and Decatur Active Living
10 am, Saturday, April 18th
Decatur Recreation Center, 231 Sycamore St.
See map: Google Maps
Join other cyclists to equip yourself with the knowledge you need to ride safely and with confidence on the streets and trails in your community. Joe Slade will be your instructor in this practical, hands-on class. You will receive classroom instruction, watch a video on interacting with traffic, learn bike handling skills, and take a practice ride with your instructor.
Laws affecting bicycles, the importance of visibility and predictability, lane positioning, intersection safety, interacting with
pedestrians, trail etiquette, bicycle safety checks, fixing a flat, on-bike skills, crash avoidance techniques, basic bicycling gear, and much more!
People interested in bicycle commuting, recreational cycling, or occasional riding on city or suburban streets or trails.
* bicycle in working condition (check to ensure you have brakes, etc)
* comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes
* water bottle
* light lunch
* 10 am until 3 or 4 pm (there will be a brief session on Bike Commuting after the basic course)
* Class lasts about 5 hours. Arrive 15 minutes early. Bring lunch to eat during the video.
1. Classroom instruction on bike safety, laws, gear, lane positioning, etc.
2. Short video
3. Parking lot skills instruction
4. Practice Ride
Instructors are certified by the League of American Bicyclists.
Recommended for adults and children above age fourteen, this compact and comprehensive class will make you a safer and more confident cyclist.