City Schools of Decatur
Decatur, Georgia 30030
City Schools of Decatur (CSD) is pleased to announce that the CSD Board of Education unanimously approved the action plan of the Decatur Farm to School (DF2S) Initiative at its most recent meeting. The approval of the action plan means that CSD and DF2S partners will continue their planning efforts and provide opportunities for the entire school community to participate in the Farm to School program. You should anticipate future communication about this new initiative and the voluntary opportunity to participate in the program. If you are interested in learning more or getting involved now, please visit www.decaturfarmtoschool.org.
The Decatur Farm to School Initiative is a grassroots effort led by parents, teachers, school administrators, community members and organizations. Farm to School programs connect schools with local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in school cafeterias and providing educational opportunities for the entire school community on nutrition and gardening. Farm to School is a natural response to growing concerns over childhood obesity, the viability of the American family farm, and the environmental impact of our consumption patterns. Farm to School connects these concerns with a solution that can have benefits for students, farmers, schools, and communities alike.
Initial plans for the Decatur Farm to School Program include:
- Edible school gardens, planted and maintained by students, teachers, parents, school staff and community members
- An increase in the number and types of fresh, local foods served in schools
- Integrated curriculum resources to leverage learning around nutrition, science, biology, math, social sciences, and local community resources
- Farm field trips and farm education that explore local economics, biological systems, local environmental issues and the holistic connection that links food, health, and the environment
- Hands on food preparation and taste-tests featuring fresh, local foods and local chefs
The Decatur Farm to School Initiative Team subsequently held a town-hall meeting (May 2009) and established a set of committees to provide recommendations on a comprehensive plan. The Decatur Farm to School Initiative Team began by soliciting input at a Town Hall meeting and then organizing into seven committees to reflect the anticipated activities of the Decatur Farm to School program and plan around those activities. Activities include both core activities for the program (menu revitalization, procurement, curriculum integration, and partner outreach) as well as ancillary or support functions (fundraising, communications, and research and evaluation).