• Plan your outing. Always tell someone your routes and where you are going.
• Know where telephones are located along the course. If you have one, take your cell phone with you.
• Wear an identification tag or carry a driver’s license. Include important medical information.
• Wear reflective material.
• Stay alert at all times.
• When possible, run or walk with a partner and/or a dog.
• If you do wear headphones, keep the volume low to medium, and be aware of and listen to your surroundings.
• Exercise in familiar areas and vary your route.
• Run against traffic so you can observe automobiles approaching.
Here is a good online list for running and walking safety: http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/safety/